Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Personal Atonement

I wrote the following poem one day as I pondered on the Great Atonement made on our behalf by our Savior, even Jesus Christ. I hope that we can all reflect on our personal relationship with our Savior, and that we can come to a realization of the great opportunity we can have, if we but lean on Him.


So We Can Be Made Clean
I oftentimes wonder what Christ has done for me.
I stop and think of who I am and it’s easy to see;
For in speech I am not mighty, and I’m really not too strong,
And though I sing with all my heart, not pretty is my song.
But Christ has suffered just for me to get me thru my day;
For when I share His glorious word, He tells me what to say.
His friendship, it is perfect, and it is on Him I lean;
For Christ has suffered pain and guilt, so I can be made clean.

I oftentimes wonder what Christ has done for me.
I stop and think of the things I’ve done and it’s easy to see;
For sins I have committed, ones that make me feel real shame.
And at times I’ve treated this precious life as some sort of game.
But Christ has suffered just for me to allow me to return
Back to His precious fold and thru it all I learn
His sacrifice was perfect, and thru it I can lean,
On He who suffered pain and guilt so I can be made clean.

I oftentimes am lonely like I have nowhere to turn
But there is one important thing that I have come to learn
We should never feel alone on Earth, for Christ is on our side
To Him we may pour out our hearts, in Him we may confide
For Christ has suffered for us all, that we might not do the same
And all he asks us in return is to remember His holy name.
His friendship, it is perfect, and it is on Him I lean
For Christ has suffered pain and guilt so we can be made clean

It’s hard to understand what Christ has done for me
And hard to comprehend how He loves me constantly
He took upon Him my own sins in the Garden Gethsemane
And was beaten, mocked, and spat upon all the way to Calvary
His flesh was pierced by rusted nails as he was placed upon the cross
The Spirit was removed from Him, a most terrible a loss
In love He did it for you and me, and on Him I gladly lean
For Christ has suffered pain and death so we can be made clean.

Now oftentimes I ponder on the blessings in my life
I think about my trials and all the pain and all the strife
With all the ups and downs, all the dips along the way
All of it is worth it, ‘cause He rose on that third day.
For Christ had suffered all for us, yet rose in life once more
Ensuring that one day we could reap the blessings sowed
He lives, it’s true! He lives today! And so we may ever lean
On He who suffered, died, and lived so we can be made clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment